Bunny who?

Why? Who? What's this blog about? It's about MEEEE!

Being a Widow

My experience of dealing with grief as a widow

Astrocytoma

About Jane's brain tumour journey: Astrocytoma.co.uk
 

Poignant song

12 July 2011

One word - Anouk

I close my eyes
And imagine you're here
Did it all seem so hopeless
Given the chance
I would ask
Forgive me
I didn't do a thing to make you stay
I didn't say a word to make you stay
If I would have known
Could I have tried to make it easier
But I didn't do a thing
Or say a word
One word

And I don't know why you're gone, now you're gone
No beautiful goodbye
You will never leave my mind
And it turns out to be so much different than our dreams
Now you're, you're a star in heaven

My thoughts unsaid
Stuck in my head
And it all feels so useless
Never forget to give all I have
Forgive me
I couldn't do a thing to make you stay
And I couldn't say a word to make you stay
If I could have known
Could I have tried to make it easier
But I couldn't do a thing
Or say a word
One word

And I don't know why you're gone, now you're gone
No beautiful goodbye
You will never leave my mind
And it turns out to be so much different than our dreams
Now you're, yeah you're a star in heaven

Still I don't know why you're gone, now you're gone
No beautiful goodbye
You will never leave my mind
And it turns out to be so much different than our dreams
Now you're, you're a star in heaven
You're a star in heaven now
You're a star in heaven
Yeah you're my star



It is a lovely song that reflects the guilt I feel for not having been able to 'save' Jane. I like it. Just a shame about the reference to heaven.

4 comments:

Julie said...

The lyrics are strong, except for the fall into that cliche. The singer has a nice sound, with a voice at times reminiscent of mmm ... can't think of her name ... Tracey Chapman ... had to search my collection.

Dutchcloggie said...

Not sure I agree with Tracy Chapman. Perhaps more raw than that. Melissa Etheridge? Anyway, I totally agree about the cliche. I heard it for the first time in the car and cried right away. Until she sang that line about heaven. Then I stopped crying and was just pissed off... Still, I'll just ignore that line and enjoy the rest. Yet another Dutch talented singer :)

Dutchcloggie said...

Actually, you are right. On listening to this version again, there is indeed some Chapman-esque quality to her voice. Normally, she sounds much more like Etheridge...

Dutchcloggie said...

Sorry! Accidentally hit Delete instead of Publish Comment. Ruddy touchscreen! But you are right. Etheridge is not very exciting as a songwriter or vocalist. I used to like her intensity at live gigs but even that has become stale to me and I don't listen to her much. Can't remember the last time I put her music on.

Post a Comment