Bunny who?

Why? Who? What's this blog about? It's about MEEEE!

Being a Widow

My experience of dealing with grief as a widow

Astrocytoma

About Jane's brain tumour journey: Astrocytoma.co.uk
 

Race for life

17 July 2011

So for some strange reason, only last week, I decided to run the Race for Life in aid of Cancer Research UK. I hate running, Jane hated running. So it seems like the perfect thing to do in Jane's memory. It does not matter at all that I have never run further than the corner shop and even that was a corner shop I could see from my window.  But 5km surely is a piece of cake, right?

I had some nice t-shirts made with Jane's picture on it and her famous Salmony Goodness on the front. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, here is the origin of Salmony Goodness.



I was running with Jane's friend Kate. The day started of well with the rain absolutely hammering down. Great. As if Jane was saying: You are INSANE for doing this.


I won't bore you with the details but I ran/walked/ran/walked/ran the 5km in 40 minutes. Faster than I have ever ran 5km before. In fact, I have never run 5km before so I claim that as a personal best.  The weather cleared up a little and although 5km is nothing in the grand scheme of things, I *might* have felt a little lump in my throat when I crossed the finish line together with Kate. Her fiancĂ©e failed to take a picture of us crossing the line so here is one from right afterwards.



I never thought I would do anything like this. I hate running (I may have mentioned this already). But also, I used to see all these woman on the TV, wearing t-shirts that said they were running in memory of a particular person. I just never imagined I would one day be one of them. Especially not at 35. In the end, I raised around £300. Not bad I think.

Future fundraising

Now for future fundraising efforts, I have decided to focus mainly on raising funds for the Cynthia Spencer Hospice in Northampton. They were absolutely fantastic not once but twice when they cared for Jane in October 2010 and again at the end of her life in May 2011.  Although the hospice is NHS funded, they need a lot of help from their charity to fund additional nurses to make sure patients get as much time and attention from trained staff as they need.  The fundraising will be a mixture of things I will be doing in the future. Not sure what the things will be but even if you just want to donate without me having to do something ridiculous, I would be very grateful. You can find my fundraising page for the Cynthia Spencer Hospice Charitable Trust at http://www.justgiving.com/Bouncybean.




0 comments:

Post a Comment