Bunny who?

Why? Who? What's this blog about? It's about MEEEE!

Being a Widow

My experience of dealing with grief as a widow

Astrocytoma

About Jane's brain tumour journey: Astrocytoma.co.uk
 

Hello Northants Chron readers

17 August 2011

Thank you for visiting my site. It means a lot that you have taken the time to come here. Please feel free to look around. If you feel up for it, please have a read of Jane's story on this blog I kept during the 6 years of her illness: http://www.astrocytoma.co.uk. It was an emotional journey but it is important for people to know what really happens when people have a brain tumour. Because it is nothing like what they show you on TV in Waterloo Road or Coronation Street.

Jane at the Bedfordshire Championships 2007

I miss Jane beyond words. Caring for the person you love more than life itself was for me the most rewarding thing I am ever likely to do. It has made me a better person. For 9 months, I was responsible for someone's wellbeing. But towards the end, it just became too hard for one person to bear. The fear I was was not keeping Jane comfortable at home was too big. And so for the last 10 days of her life, Jane went to the Cynthia Spencer Hospice. In the Hospice, I got the chance to stop being Jane's carer and spend her last 10 days as her wife. She wasn't aware of that though because the tumour had robbed her of her personality, memory, concentration, everything that made Jane Jane. She slept but I slept with her, talked to her, sang to her and cradled her in my arms when she died.

Jane in the Hospice, hours before her death

The Cynthia Spencer Hospice is a magic place where wonderful staff help people to make their last few days in this life as comfortable as possible, both for patients and their family.

Jane died at the ridiculously young age of 27. She had great plans to make a difference in the world, getting a degree in Maths & Business and a Masters degree from the Warwick Business School. She always said she wanted to die Doctor Daniel but sadly, she did not have enough time to finish her PhD in Corporate Social Responsibility.

And this is why I am raising money. To make sure her short life leaves an impression on the world beyond those who knew and loved her. Just like it would have done had she had the chance to fulfill her potential.

I am hoping to set up a number of fundraising events in 2011-2012. Music gigs, sporting events, you name it. I hope to see you at one of these events. But you can of course donate money right now. Please go to http://www.justgiving.com/BouncyBean. Your money will make a difference.

Spending 9 months caring for Jane inspired me to go back to university and I hope to start a degree in Adult Nursing in September 2012. So I have this year to focus on the fundraising. I have set a compleely ridiculous target of £10,000. I will feel like a fool if I don't reach it.

So please help the hospice to help others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment